Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Last Day of School... Sorta

I squeezed these in on the last day of class. Well, actually it wasn't the last day. Because the instructor didn't manage to have all of our pieces finished by the "official" last day, I came in the following week with another student who also likes to raku and who also wanted to take her pieces home and not wait until next semester. I used the very last drippings of the clear raku glaze (which the instructor let another student make but didn't make them sieve it, so it was quite lumpy) for these two. What the instructor finally managed to tell me was that if I wanted a lot of crackling I needed to spray the pieces with water right before I put them into the cans to smoke. That's what went wrong with the last batch.

I experimented on these two pieces with a blue/green raku glaze from school. If this glaze didn't puddle and run so badly, I might like it. However, that is not the case. Unfortunately, this and the clear raku glaze is all that the instructor made available. I am as perplexed as you as to why that is. I have higher expectations from a school. At this point, I'm going to take this class once again ONLY because I can raku there.
NO OTHER REASON.
I've also started taking classes at Hands In Clay because of my experience at school. I am sooooo discouraged about the amount of affordable teaching facilities in this town. Ideally, Tulane University is the best. At more than $1000.00 per class, this is not an option for me. Will keep searching and trying to learn as much as I can on my own and through the small network of artists here.

No comments:

Post a Comment